Wednesday 20 April 2016

Construction Update

Poly-strap back order has arrived and was busy last night installing it.  My new "high" tunnel is ready to receive its "skin" now.  Was a bit windy to attempt to do so yesterday, will have to do this either today or tomorrow.  Mind you, temp has reached 30 deg C at my place (reading from two independent weather stations that are about 250 feet apart) and it is really dry.  Forecast call for possible rain later on this week, so maybe I should wait for rain to bring moisture to the soil rather than watering it (once it is covered).  Maybe I will keep it open for few more day.  Given current temperatures, one may say why bother with tunnel, well, because overnight we still drop to below zero or just above zero (+2 last night).  Due to elevation there are large temp swings between day high and night low.  My neighbor told me that this is even more pronounced at our place and our growth season is about ten days shorter than Calgary.  Observing this for a year I must agree with him. My solution, garden hoop tunnel, in this case, double walled one.

This is picture of my "old low" hoop tunnel before poly was installed last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment